June 14th, 2017, by Ania Dunlop from Food for Zen
We could all use smoother mornings, right? The chaotic morning routine in my house has me barking orders like a drill sergeant to the tune of “brush your teeth, get your socks on, put your backpack on!” I am also making breakfast like a short order cook and furiously packing lunches, which really should have been prepared the night before.
Before I discovered smoothies, the rare day I had breakfast, it would either be oatmeal or toast with almond butter, which didn’t really keep me satiated until lunch or provided super nutrition.
Enter the smoothie…My (morning) life changed when I got the Vitamix. Yes, yes, I know everyone is raving about it but I truly have to tell you that it’s awesome. I use it EVERY SINGLE DAY to blend smoothies, soups and make snacks. It has the ability to break down even the toughest vegetable fibers into velvety concoctions so your green smoothie doesn’t taste like sh**, err I mean grit. I no longer worry what I will have for breakfast as long as I have some frozen berries and a handful of greens to work with.
Since I needed to boost my protein intake (doctor’s orders), I put a tablespoon of organic pumpkin protein powder (yes, who knew?) which is full of goodness with 20% of daily value of iron, which I definitely need since I am not a meat lover. If you opt for whey, please make sure it comes from clean, grass fed cows, otherwise you can use hemp or chia seeds, which are good protein sources.
With the smoothie, you will get several servings of fruits and veggies before you even get dressed! You will feel fuller until lunch compared to even the most tricked out oatmeal and who knows, you may even drop a couple of pounds since you stop loading up on carbs. Best of all, you will start your day on a good note with a weird feeling of control over your life.
Ready? Here are some general guidelines which will give you endless options for your new and improved “breakfast”:
1. PICK YOU BASE
- Coconut water – my favorite
- Coconut milk
- Herbal tea
- Almond milk
- Rice milk
- Hemp milk
2. PICK YOUR VEGGIES
- Romaine lettuce
- Mixed greens
- Cilantro (it’s really strong so adjust your taste buds with other greens first)
3. PICK YOUR FRUIT
* Use frozen for greater convenience, otherwise use a bit of ice
4. PICK YOUR SUPERFOOD EXTRAS
- Protein powder (important if you want to last till lunch)
- Raw cacao powder (who doesn’t like chocolate?)
- Almond butter (extra protein and yummy taste)
- Chia seeds (protein, calcium and omega 3’s)
- Hemp Seeds (protein and omega 3’s)
- Goji berries (loads of Vitamin A – great for skin)
- Camu powder (loads of Vitamin C – great for keeping you beautiful and boosting immune system)
- Maca (for energy and stress adaptor)
- Coconut oil (good fat, antibacterial, boosts immune system)
Blend your base, veggies and fruit with a bit of ice, if not using frozen fruit, until smooth. Add protein powder and superfoods at the very end, protein powder should not be over-mixed. Ok now, go get your own smoothie!
I wish you happier mornings!