Through January 31st, pick up 15 classes for $259. Note this package activates after first use, not the date of purchase. Take advantage of this deal today and then use the classes when you’re ready! Expires 365 days after first use.
“Chronic headaches, brain fog, fatigue, weight gain, insomnia, gut pain, autoimmune conditions… We may think these and other all-too-common modern maladies are due to gluten intake or too much sugar or too little exercise. But there is another missing piece to the health puzzle: Proper hydration,” explains Dr. Dana Cohen, author of the book “Quench.”
Join us Monday, June 25th at 7:15pm at our Midtown studio as Dr. Cohen tells us more with an informative and inspiring lecture on hydration strategies. The lecture will be followed by an open Q & A.
To RSVP, email Jen@bodenyc.com
bodē nyc Midtown
797 8th Ave
We have great news! Now you don’t have to worry about washing your own hair after a sweaty class at bodē nyc. We’ve partnered up with an app that allows you to book a blowout on-the-go.
PRÊTE is a membership-based app where you get access to UNLIMITED blowouts in your city at the best salons for a set monthly or yearly price. PRÊTE also offers discounted packages of blowouts, starting at $35/blowout.
As a partner, any bodē student will receive $10 off their first blowout. You can choose from top salons in NYC that are convenient to our bodē locations like Salon Ziba, RPZL, Roman K, Ethan Rose, & more!
To redeem this promotion, which is valid through May 31st, download the app here and input the promo code BODENYC in the “promotions” section once you have registered.
June 1 – Reservation Cancellations
A reminder that our new cancellation window goes into effect today. Online cancellations will no longer be available less than 3 hours before a class begins. Please note that if you are on an unlimited packages and do not cancel 3 hours in advance you will be charged a $10 fee. If you have a class class card package, not canceling before the 3 hour window will result in the loss of a class. We understand that sometimes you might be stuck at work or in transit and if so, please do your best contact us via email or phone before class.
June 10 – Family Fun Day at Just Salad
Our friends at Just Salad Upper East Side are hosting a Family Fun Day at 1471 3rd Ave (at 83rd Street – directly opposite the studio). In addition to raffles, free smoothies, Just Salad swag and more, kids under 10 eat free from Noon to 3pm. We’ve sponsored the event alongside SoulCycle and Athleta, so swing by for a chance to win some great prizes.
June 19 – Summer Schedule
As we do every year, we’re transitioning to a modified summer schedule beginning on Monday, June 19th. Please look for signs at the studios or check with a manager for more information. Please remember that your package may be used at any of our 4 Manhattan locations. We’re doing our best to accommodate everyone with the schedule, but if you have any questions or concerns please let us know.
June 19 – Hot Vinyasa
We’re really excited to begin offering Hot Vinyasa classes starting June 19th! Hot Vinyasa is a vigorous class, combining upper body strength, flexibility and cardio and is designed for students of all levels seeking a challenge. Postures are linked together and move smoothly from one pose into the next. You will develop core strength, upper body strength, flexibility in the shoulders, legs and spine plus improved concentration in this class.
June 21 – Summer Solstice
Find your center at the Crossroads of the World! Each year, thousands of yogis from around the world travel to Times Square to celebrate the Summer Solstice with free yoga classes in the heart of New York City. On the northern hemisphere’s longest day of the year, become part of this global celebration with one of the classes taking place all day long. At a total capacity of 12,000, we have enough room in our 1:30pm class to make a world record!
[mk_button dimension=”outline” corner_style=”pointed” size=”x-large” outline_skin=”dark” outline_active_color=”#ffffff” outline_hover_color=”#333333″ bg_color=”#cccccc” btn_hover_bg=”#252525″ text_color=”light” icon_anim=”none” url=”http://www.timessquarenyc.org/events/solstice-in-times-square/index.aspx#.WTBDrxPytE4″ target=”_blank” align=”left” fullwidth=”false” button_custom_width=”0″ margin_top=”0″ margin_bottom=”40″]REGISTER NOW[/mk_button]
June 1 to June 30 – Summer Sale
Throughout the month of June we’re offering 2 Months of Unlimited classes on sale for $299. Valid through August 31st, this is the perfect package to help get ready for the summer and then stay in shape all summer long. The package is available online via our website (below), in the app or by asking at the front desk. Please note this package activates after first use (not the date of purchase) and is valid for a full 2 months after that.
[mk_pricing_table style=”monocolor” table_number=”1″ tables=”10858″ order=”DESC” orderby=”date”][/mk_pricing_table]
Summer is here, and so is our list of 10 reasons why you should maintain an active Bikram Yoga practice this season. Of course you already know it makes you feel great, but sometimes it’s challenging to motivate when it’s already warm outside.
1) Be fit for summer activities
Practicing Bikram Yoga in the summer keeps your body strong and flexible so you can enjoy and recoup from other activities like cycling, running, frisbee, golf, surfing and more. Beach body season is here!
2) That guilt free second scoop
One of the best things about maintaining a summer practice is not only enjoying guilt free ice cream, but ordering a double scoop without a second thought.
3) Your body is already loose
Students tend to see more constructive progress in their practice during the summer due less fluctuation between the temperature inside the room and out. Coming to class in 30 degree weather makes it more challenging to loosen up than arriving in shorts and a tee shirt with 80 degree temps outside.
4) It strengthens your heat tolerance
Just as applicable for those who are active outside the yoga room (runners, tennis players, cyclists, etc.) as it is for those who are simply outdoors – maintaining your practice the summer will strengthen your tolerance for the heat. You’ll just smile when friends say it’s too hot or humid outside.
5) You’ll be encouraged to eat right
Hot weather isn’t conducive to eating heavy or greasy foods, and by working hard in the hot room, you won’t want to “ruin” all that effort. Try a watermelon, feta, red onion and balsamic salad after class. Not only is it hydrating with the watermelon, but also has protein and minerals; plus a nice sodium factor.
6) It’ll keep you hydrated
Being an active Bikram Yoga practitioner during summer months forces you to maintain your hydration levels by drinking water before, during and after class. And as important as that is, be sure to keep your electrolytes up too!
7) Keeps you feeling cool on hot days
When you maintain your practice over the summer months, the actual temperatures in July and August seem significantly less then they actually are. 90 degree weather can sometimes feel refreshing after class.
8) Be a champ on the subway platform
Stay acclimated to the heat for when you’re stuck on a crowded underground subway platform. While everyone is miserable, complaining and sweating it out, the temperature is something you’re already used to.
9) Stay loose until your next class
Summer heat prolongs the benefits of the flexibility and relaxation you’ve achieved during class simply because your body is less likely to tense up in warm weather, keeping you limber and open. The cumulative effect of stretching is therefor more noticeable as you retain more flexibility for next class.
10) It makes your “return” in the Fall much easier
Staying disciplined and committed to your practice during the summer make “returning” to your practice in the fall a non-issue. You’re already in shape from your summer yoga practice!
By Ania Dunlop, a BYNYC Healthy Living Series writer from Food for Zen
With spring just around the corner, most people let their New Year’s resolutions slide as life gets in the way. But don’t wait until 2018 to get motivated again. Start with small, sustainable habits and think of wellness as a journey. Forget overly ambitious detoxes or training regimens. Adopt one healthy habit and, when it becomes a part of your daily routine, graduate to the next one. Your health journey will become a smooth ride without the usual overwhelm.
Here are my top 3 tips to clean up your diet for good.
1. Start your day with warm lemon water
After an overnight fast, your body is dehydrated so this will ensure you are hydrating properly for the day. Adding lemon juice will help detoxify and stimulate your digestion (and elimination, which is super important for a health body). To make your morning lemon drink, warm a cup of water, squeeze juice from half a lemon and sip slowly. For bonus points, add a teaspoon of raw apple cider and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
2. Build a rock solid immune system with these two supplements
The human body houses more than a trillion of bacteria, an ecosystem called a microbiome. You might say we are more bacteria than human! These good bacteria, called probiotics, live in symbiosis with us, helping us digest food, keep our immune system strong and regulate our moods. However, our modern lifestyle, full of stress, poor diet, medications and environmental toxins, can throw off this delicate balance and turn these friendly inhabitants into pathogens. People with disregulated microbiomes often feel tired and toxic, suffer from food sensitivities, acne, and have weak immune systems. So if you are prone to colds or digestive issues you might want to build up your little bacteria friends.
Adding fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchee, miso and tempeh to your diet is a great way to “supplement” naturally. But if you are not a fermented food lover, I recommend a good probiotic with multiple strains, 25-50 billion units daily.
While actually a hormone, Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin affecting thousands of genes. Originally linked to strong bones, it’s essential to keeping your entire body healthy, from fighting off infections, reducing inflammation to protecting us from a long list of scary diseases like cancers, autoimmune diseases, Alzheimer’s and Crohn’s. Vitamin D is the superhero you need to pay attention to.
To get Vitamin D, you either need sunlight exposure or supplements because it’s difficult to get it from food alone. In my hemisphere, it’s almost impossible to get enough Vitamin D from the sun between the months of October and April, so supplementation makes sense. I recommend Vitamin D3, which is the active form. While not a standard test, ask your doctor to test your Vitamin D levels. The general consensus is that the optimal level is at 50-70 ng/ml (or higher for cancer treatment).
3. Eat one pound of vegetables a day, every day
It does seem daunting, doesn’t it? How do you fit eating the rainbow into just one day? Let’s break this down and start with why. Study after study shows that eating 7 or more servings of vegetables a day reduces your risk of dying by more than 40% (cancer 24% and heart disease 31%). If it came in a pill form we would all be popping it!
Vitamins and minerals in plants keep us healthy, but it’s also the phytonutrients that work synergistically with our bodies that provide us with a secondary function of fighting off diseases and increasing our longevity. Merely taking a multi is not going to cut it, you need the real stuff!
One pound of vegetables is between 5-10 cups (depending on the type) and I recommend eating 50% raw and 50% cooked. You don’t have to go full vegan to get the benefit, just build your meals around veggies and get them into every nook and cranny of your diet.
I used to dismiss vegetables because I didn’t know how to make them taste good and didn’t link them to health. Now that I’m motivated by living a long healthy life I blend greens for breakfast, cook up a vegetable soup or salad with protein for lunch and make a big pot of vegetable curry for dinner.
Find your motivation! Whether it’s a healthy glow or a slim waist, adopting a whole food (mostly) plant based diet is the single most important health-building habit.
Keep in touch with me at foodforzen.com
Losing weight is hard, right? We make resolutions and promises to ourselves each year but rarely keep them. Some of us go on a juice cleanse, some follow a diet de jour, while others resort to extreme exercise. But too often we get derailed, deprived and deflated. Today, I want to offer you a no-diet diet, no cleanse and no gimmicks.
What’s is this perfect no diet diet? It’s a clean eating lifestyle. This means rejecting processed foods and cooking the majority of your meals at home because that is the one and only gateway to permanent weight loss and effortless maintenance. Clean eating involves a lifetime commitment, which will be annoying at first, but once you are empowered with knowledge and feeling amazing, you will never want to go back to eating any other way.
Follow my 12 tips and you will never have to worry about excess pounds, not to mention you will have amazing energy, good skin and clear mind.
1. Get off sugar. Sugar and high fructose corn syrup cause your liver to store fat more efficiently around your tummy. It’s highly addictive and interferes with your body’s ability to know when it’s full.
2. Don’t drink your calories. Skip the soda, specialty coffees and mind your adult beverage intake. Couple of glasses of wine is a fine way to unwind but it adds up to approximately 250 empty calories. Drink lots of water (add lemon!) as hunger is often confused with dehydration.
3. Give up refined carbs like bread and pasta. Refined carbohydrates affect the body in similar ways to sugar, storing fat in your trouble spots like belly, butt and thighs (our trouble areas!). Replace toxic carbs with complex carbs such as fruits, (root) vegetables and whole grains (millet, brown rice, oats, quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat).
4. Eat quality protein. Include protein with every meal and choose plants such as nuts and nut butters, beans, seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, chia and hemp). Limit your animal intake to grass fed, pastured and organic meats to avoid exposure to antibiotics and hormones.
5. Detox with green vegetables. Green leafy veggies help you de-bloat and flood your body with vitamins and minerals. Choose bitter greens like arugula, watercress, kale, chard, mustard green to support your digestion. Blend and juice your way to skinny!
6. Eat good fat. Fat doesn’t make you fat, it’s the sugar and processing (especially in low fat foods)! Choose healthy fats like avocado, coconut oil, nuts, seeds and flaxseeds as well as fatty fish like salmon, sardines and mackerel. Fat gives your energy, healthy skin and hair and supports weight loss by helping you stay full and reduce cravings for sugar. Just control your portion as 1 gram of fat has twice the calories of carbs and proteins.
7. Cook at home. Cooking at home allows you to control portions and quality of ingredients. Eating minimally processed foods, as close to its original source as possible, is the single most important thing you can do for your waist.
8. Fix your digestive health. Hidden food sensitivities can cause inflammation and sabotage weight loss. Consider an elimination diet to rule out any triggers to common allergens such as wheat, dairy, corn and soy.
9. Sleep 7-8 hours a nights. Sleep deprivation disrupts your metabolism, causes you to overeat and leads to sugar cravings. Catch some zzzs to lose more pounds.
10. Exercise! Commit to making Bikram Yoga a part of your life in 2016. Aim to visit at least 3 times a week to see optimal results. Make sure to keep your body hydrated and full of electrolytes.
11. Calm your mind. We live in a stressful world but chronically high cortisol leads to abdominal weight gain. Manage your stress by meditating and practicing mindfulness. Let it go. Don’t let stress appear as extra pounds.
12. Balance your hormones. Have your adrenal and thyroid hormones checked to ensure your hormones are working properly.
30 consecutive days of classes isn’t easy.
Cue our “30 Days to a New You” program, complete with daily tips and inspirations from our instructors, delivered to your inbox each morning.
What is a 30 Day Challenge?
Challenge yourself to complete 30 classes in 30 days. That’s it. Pure and simple. While true, the challenge is a commitment of time, it’s more importantly a commitment to one’s health, wellness and spirit. Experience for yourself the amazing physical, mental and physiological benefits of a daily practice. Enjoy a wide range of benefits including stress reduction, weight loss and an improved overall sense of well being!
What do I get for completing it?
Obviously the most important benefit of completing the 30 day challenge is a healthier, more energetic you! However, in addition we include a number of prizes upon competion:
- FREE 7 days of yoga, just for you. Valid anytime you want to use it
- 2 FREE 7 day guest passes for you to share with a family member, friend or co-worker
- 10% OFF any full priced package we offer (auto-debit excluded)
- 300 Reward Points – The equivalent of spending $300 at the studio
What are these daily emails all about?
Illustrated to the left, is an example of one of the emails you will receive. Each day, the morning message will begin with a statement from one of our instructors with some insight about where you are in the 30 day cycle.
For 26 of the 30 days, we’ll send posture tips for our Bikram method classes from our “Posture of the Week” series. More importantly, the section will also link to a video that breaks down the posture of the day in detail.
The email ends with an inspirational message or quote to energize your day, and of course the all important button to book that day’s class. We encourage you to visit as many studios as possible, and to take class with a variety of instructors to keep your routine fresh!
Interested? Sign up on our 30 Day Challenge Page and be sure to indicate the start date for your challenge.